References available upon request
- Research Scientist
- Diffuse optics, photon scattering, data visualization, mathematical/physical modeling, hyperspectral & image processing/analysis, statistical analysis.
- Algorithm development in MATLAB, including Image Processing Toolbox, MATLAB Compiler and MATLAB Builder NE.
- Multiple patents and patent applications in US and EU; over 15 publications in leading peer-reviewed journals.
- Software Engineer
- Software development in C#.NET, C/C++; scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl); InstallShield/InstallScript.
- Development of parallelized/distributed computational tools using OpenMP and PVM.
- SQL database design and management for MS SQL Server (including replication), MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Experience with a variety of source control, issue tracking, and requirements management tools.
- Experience with QA automation tools.
- Development experience on Windows, Unix, Linux.
- Project Leader
- Successful development of commercial software from conception and design through multiple product release cycles.
- Manage personnel in commercial and academic environments, including software development teams, student researchers, and summer interns.
- Principal Investigator on multiple NASA grants. Successful grant writer with over $500,000 in approved grants and over 200 hours of approved observing time at national and international observatories from 2000-2006.
- Senior Manager, Software Development
PerkinElmer, Hopkinton, MA, 2013present
- Lead continued development of FMT systems and software. Evaluate new technology for in-licensing or acquisition. Manage multiple teams locally and in EU. Lead international collaborations with academic partners for development of new technology.
- Principal Scientist
PerkinElmer, Hopkinton, MA, 20102013
VisEn Medical, Bedford, MA, 20082010
- VisEn Medical was acquired by PerkinElmer in July 2010)
Maintain and evolve photon diffusion algorithms and other mathematical modeling and image processing code for fluorescence molecular tomography (FMT) system. Lead continued evolution of next-generation FMT systems and software. Direct road map planning for future FMT product development. Provide internal scientific peer review for chemistry and biology teams.
Manage multi-site team with members in Boston and EU. Lead international collaboration with academic partners on next-gen software for multi-modality imaging. Lead design, specification, development, testing and production of software for pre-clinical FMT imaging systems. Manage commercial software development team, and report on project budgets and timelines to internal Business Investment Committee. Implement and maintain software development process controls, including SCM, issue tracking, requirements management, and test case management. Work with field support to develop customer feedback mechanisms.
- Senior Imaging Scientist
VisEn Medical, Bedford, MA, 20062008
- Developed and implemented photon diffusion algorithms and other mathematical modeling and image processing code for FMT system. Contributed to hardware design and subsequent evolution of next-generation FMT imaging systems. Key technical leader in core R&D team that brought next-gen FMT from breadboard to commercial reality.
- Consultant – Data Analysis Software & Algorithm Development
Freelance Consulting, 20062007
- Developed software for 3D data manipulation and analysis of data in the developmental biology domain. Created C++ libraries and applications to work with large SQL data sets of 2D mouse cerebellum slice data to rectify, normalize, and model the data into 3D for comparison across developmental milestones.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME, 20042006
- Carried out a program of original research on the formation and evolution of large scale structure in the universe, involving extensive automated data analysis and numerical simulations. Taught two courses per semester in physics and astronomy, some with laboratory components, and developed curricula from syllabus to final exam. Supervised undergraduate senior research projects and summer student research. Wrote successful proposals for additional grants from NASA for research support.
- Postdoctoral Fellow
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA, 20022004
- Research fellowship for studying the formation and evolution of clusters of galaxies using astronomical observations. Responsibilities included experiment design, data analysis, grant writing, paper publication, presentation at conferences, and software development. Obtained multiple grants for $83,000 in NASA research support.
- Ph.D. Astronomy, University of Virginia, 2002
- Thesis: Thermal and Nonthermal Effects in Merging Clusters of Galaxies
- M.A. Astronomy, University of Virginia, 1998
- Thesis: An Analysis of the Si IV Spectra of U Sge
- B.A. Physics with honors, Oberlin College, 1997
- Thesis: High Time Resolution Studies of the Pulsar PSR J0437-4715