References available upon request
- Project Leader
- Brought successful commercial software products from conception and design through multiple product release cycles.
- Manage personnel in both commercial and academic environments, including multiple software development teams, student researchers, and undergraduate and graduate level interns.
- Software Engineer
- Polyglot developer with extensive experience in C#, C++ and MATLAB; experience in Python, Perl, others.
- Experienced designer of reactive systems on .NET.
- SQL database design and management; no-SQL stream databases in CQRS+ES architecture with EventStore.
- Build and deployment experience with TFS, MyGet, CCNet, InstallShield.
- Experienced with a variety of source control, issue tracking, and requirements management tools, in both Agile and Waterfall environments.
- Data visualization, mathematical/physical modeling, hyperspectral & image processing/analysis, statistical analysis.
- Multiple patents and patent applications; numerous publications in leading peer-reviewed journals.
- Senior Manager, Software Development
PerkinElmer, Hopkinton, MA, 2013present
- Provide technical and strategic leadership for software development efforts on full line of in vivo imaging systems, covering both optical and micro-CT domains with over $70 million in annual revenue. Manage multiple teams locally, in EU and in India. Lead domestic and international collaborations with academic partners for development of new technology. Evaluate new technology for in-licensing or acquisition. Technical leader on next-generation instrument projects. Lead team in green-field development of new software framework for multiple instrument platforms, utilizing reactive systems and CQRS+ES architectures to support distributable components, cloud-based computing and data storage, and occasionally connected clients. Lead other teams in maintaining and enhancing legacy software for a range of products.
- Principal Scientist
PerkinElmer, Hopkinton, MA, 20102013
VisEn Medical, Bedford, MA, 20082010
- VisEn Medical was acquired by PerkinElmer in July 2010)
Managed multi-site team with members in Boston and EU. Lead international collaboration with academic partners on next-gen software for multi-modality imaging. Lead design, specification, development, testing and production of software for pre-clinical fluorescence molecular tomography (FMT) imaging systems. Managed commercial software development team, and reported on project budgets and timelines to internal Business Investment Committee. Implemented software development process controls, including SCM, issue tracking, requirements management, and test case management. Incorporated Agile methodology principles into development process. Worked with field support to develop customer feedback mechanisms.
Maintained and evolved photon diffusion algorithms and other mathematical modeling and image processing for FMT system. Participated in continued evolution of next-generation FMT systems. Played a prominent role in road map planning for future FMT product development. Provided internal scientific peer review for chemistry and biology teams.
- Senior Imaging Scientist
VisEn Medical, Bedford, MA, 20062008
- Developed and implemented photon diffusion algorithms and other mathematical modeling and image processing code for FMT system. Contributed to hardware design and subsequent evolution of next-generation FMT imaging systems. Key technical leader in core R&D team that brought next-gen FMT from breadboard to commercial reality.
- Consultant – Data Analysis Software & Algorithm Development
Freelance Consulting, 20062007
- Developed software for 3D data manipulation and analysis of data in the developmental biology domain. Created C++ libraries and applications to work with large SQL data sets of 2D mouse cerebellum slice data to rectify, normalize, and model the data into 3D for comparison across developmental milestones.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME, 20042006
- Carried out a program of original research on the formation and evolution of large scale structure in the universe, involving extensive automated data analysis and numerical simulations. Taught two courses per semester in physics and astronomy, some with laboratory components, and developed curricula from syllabus to final exam. Supervised undergraduate senior research projects and summer student research. Wrote successful proposals for additional grants from NASA for research support.
- Postdoctoral Fellow
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA, 20022004
- Research fellowship for studying the formation and evolution of clusters of galaxies using astronomical observations. Responsibilities included experiment design, data analysis, grant writing, paper publication, presentation at conferences, and software development. Obtained multiple grants for $83,000 in NASA research support.
- Systems And Methods for Virtual Index-Matching of Diffusive Media, U.S. Patent 8,401,619, issued March 19, 2013.
- Systems And Methods for Tomographic Imaging in Diffuse Media Using a Hybrid Inversion Technique, U.S. Patent 8,401,618, issued March 19, 2013.
- Imaging Systems Featuring Waveguiding Compensation, U.S. Patent 8,492,734, issued July 23, 2013.
- Systems, Methods, and Apparatus for Imaging of Diffuse Media Featuring Cross-Modality Weighting of Fluorescent and Bioluminescent Sources, U.S. Patent Application 61,714,198
- Ph.D. Astronomy, University of Virginia, 2002
- Thesis: Thermal and Nonthermal Effects in Merging Clusters of Galaxies
- M.A. Astronomy, University of Virginia, 1998
- Thesis: An Analysis of the Si IV Spectra of U Sge
- B.A. Physics with honors, Oberlin College, 1997
- Thesis: High Time Resolution Studies of the Pulsar PSR J0437-4715